Thursday 17 March 2016

Tulip Time!

If, a few weeks ago it was daffodils, this morning it was the turn of the most gorgeous tulips I've ever seen. Since my husband and daughter are both away, I checked my phone for any messages from either of them, even as I was making lunch for my son, early this morning, to take to school. When I saw the pictures of these breathtakingly beautiful flowers, posted once again by my cousin from his garden in California, I was tempted to abandon rolling out a paratha mid way and pen a few lines. Obviously I couldn't let my son go hungry, but I could barely wait till his school bus had left our compound, so I could put pen to paper. The muse, especially when triggered by photos of flowers, as I've come to realize, can be very demanding...


                                                   

                                                         Picture Credits: V Modak, U.S.A
               
                Tulip Time

Who's in the corner nodding her head?
Oh, it's a tulip painted with a streak of red!
If I were a bee,
I can clearly see,
Why a tulip would fascinate me...

God picked up a brush and dabbed on red,
On a pepper mint white canvas in the tulip bed.
I look at the tulips and see the advent of spring,
Warm summer days soon they will bring.
A glance at them dispels my gloom,
All's well with the world, as long as these beauties bloom.

These tulips bring the Dutch Keukenhof Gardens to mind,
Where, seven million tulip bulbs one can find.
They will soon spur a home body like me,
To pack my bags and go and see,
Acres and acres of tulip fields,
Evidence of what God's creation yields.

My relationship with tulips is really old,
On a pretty pink dress, my Mom had embroidered a tulip bold.
That cross stitched red tulip still stands out in my mind,
The pleasure that flower brought me is, today, so hard to find.
But these pictures took me back to the days of yore,
And left me craving for so many more!

9 comments:

Where Have All The Faces Gone?

 The months of August and September, Bring with them sullen clouds and fat, cheerful raindrops.  Either month also brings with it,  One of t...