Tuesday 28 July 2020

I Need A Day

I NEED A DAY,
Just ONE day.
When I do not have to the clarion call of the kitchen obey,
When I do not have to hear my children say,
"What's for lunch and dinner today?"

I need a day, just ONE day ,
When there are no on line bills to pay.
A day when there are no WhatsApp forwards to delete or read,
A day when, with my students, to submit homework, I do not have to plead.

I need a day, just ONE day,
When no one relies on me to let the sun shine, while they make hay.
A day when I do not have to smile, come what may,
While the whole wide world is in complete disarray.

I need a day, just ONE day,
When I don't have to hear how my husband's work has been hit,
A day I can choose to spend as I see fit,
And my gas burner doesn't have to be lit!

And then, I think and I wonder, why do I complain?
From grumbling and groaning (in my mind), I MUST refrain.
At least I have a kitchen in which I can cook,
I have the ingredients to try out dishes from my recipe book!

I'm blessed my house help does on our premises stay,
I don't have to sweep and mop, dust and chop- no way!
Everyone in India has their hands in the kitchen sink,
And miss their faithful help more than one would think!

I have one hundred and fifty students to keep me on my toes,
Asking questions, be it grammar, poetry or prose.
My husband still has a paying job,
And I can churn out food at the turn of a knob!

We are STILL capable of dealing with bills,
They aren't, just yet, making us run for the hills.
And I'm glad I'm found worthy of finding solutions,
I'm happy people rely on me for quick resolutions.

God has given me the energy and the skills,
To, across the ocean, get into my mother's account and pay HER bills!
He has given me the resources to control my Skype classes,
And I'm always thrilled to see those fresh, eager young faces.

Despite the pandemic, my children are blessed to study on line,
And we have managed, by God's grace, to keep healthy and fine.
This, too, shall pass, and we WILL find a way to beat the disease,
And the much awaited vaccine will help everyone's angst and anxiety release.

Our rainbow may currently seem leached and gray,
BUT we are alive to see another day.
And that's more than many can say....









2 comments:

  1. So well said.. We are blessed to have jobs going on, salary on time n food in plate.. God has been great to us.. Sense of Gratitude

    ReplyDelete

Where Have All The Faces Gone?

 The months of August and September, Bring with them sullen clouds and fat, cheerful raindrops.  Either month also brings with it,  One of t...